Sunday, June 20, 2010

Storage

So how has the house been going lately? We spent the weekend assembling storage units for various messy things just lying around the house. First off, here is how Tung opens a box. If we happened to have missing parts, we'd have been screwed. No way we're returning this.


I put together this shoe rack, all by myself! Well, it was one of those easy "no tools required" assemblies, plus I was trying to do my due diligence as a Tech Writer by reading the instructions, when in the middle of my RTFM moment, Tung wanted to take over, but aside from his assembly of one of the legs, I did do the rest by myself. So do I look like an old lady with her shoe rack support here?


Here's Tung's "Awww, why does Daisy make me work on house stuff on my weekends all the time" face:


Yes, he's thrilled to be assembling storage units. Anyway, off to work.


I was told two-and-a-half hours later when I returned to the house from a few errands that this particular cabinet was put together with a more-than-normal amount of cussing due to the stupidity of the way the instructions were written--which were later ripped to tidbits due to spite. Something about the confusion with the "top shelf" and "static shelf" so that the tally of hours Tung spent on it went approximately like thus:

1 hour: partial assembly
0.5 hours: cussing over mixing up the two shelves
1 hour: taking apart mistake and re-assembling

Well, we can't all have our Tech Writer girlfriends write up our instruction manuals, now, can we?

So here's a shot of our ghetto-rigged phone table before: one of our moving boxes that looked like it was barfing multi-colored electric cables all over itself while it crapped shoes on the floor.


Here's the "After" shot of the (aforementioned pain-in-the-butt) cabinet/phone table. Yes, I still use a land phone.



And the shoes are neatly stored on my new shoe rack.


Here's the "Before" shot of what happens when you've got no place to put your media.


Viola! New shelf built for music and movie library, plus a media cabinet for the stereo, VCR/DVD player, Playstation, and soon-to-be Wii console. Still kinda messy with the wires, but in due time, when I can get Tung to make another "why do I have to do this" face, we'll get that tidied up soon enough.


Also, to clear up already-limited countertop space for cooking, Tung and his dad build this standing shelf for the microwave, toaster oven, plastic-wrap container, and the Asian household staple, the rice box.


Notice the clean use of vertical space:

No comments: