Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Shomenuchi in the Cleaning Aisle

It wasn’t the brightest idea. But it did make me think about the instincts that develop in us over time. I was in the cleaning supplies aisle at Target, looking for those pods of Arm & Hammer baking soda with the suction cup, designed to minimize odor in refrigerators. Lo and behold, the coveted items were stacked on the top-most shelf. I quickly analyzed the bottom shelf: too flimsy for me to stand on for an extra boost. The baking soda was stacked a bit further back from the shelf’s edge: conveniently just out of my reach. I was like the prehistoric squirrel in Ice Age, eyeing the prized acorn. I don’t know why I didn’t walk the few steps to push the “Assistance” button at one of those stations scattered around the store. It was mainly laziness, but I’m not surprised if there was some stubborn pride mixed in there somewhere.

I decided to make a jump for it. I needed four packs and was able to snag the first three with said Michael Jordan technique. However, things went awry with the fourth packet, set even further back on the shelf. The first jump got it to slide further to the edge. The second jump was meant for me to grasp it in my hand, but I miscalculated, and the packet flew into the air, seeming to aim straight for my head on its way down. Out of sheer instinct, my hand shot up in a shomenuchi-like strike/block, snaking up the centerline of my vision and extending upwards to guard my head, just in time for the airborne packet to bounce off my fingertips and land smack into my shopping cart parked behind me. I distinctly remember pausing for a bit to analyze my body position and noticing that I had gone into hanmi stance, one arm with a clear extension from my center, palm-down, the other arm coming down from the shomenuchi, mouth gaping in shock that the baking soda flew right into my cart.

Darned proud of myself, I finally noticed the couple in the same aisle, looking up from their decided brand of laundry detergent to give me a funny look. I quickly wheeled my shopping cart out of the cleaning aisle with newly-acquired baking soda, reflecting upon the clarity that can ironically come out of one of those stupid things to do.

No comments: