Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Letters to Poetwig: Gift

Dear Baby,

You are used to hearing me whisper these words to you in those private moments stolen between us: "I hope you're doing ok in there. Mommy loves you very much. Stay strong, my little one." I worry about you every day, hoping that you are safe and growing as you should. Today I got to see you on ultrasound for the first time, meeting with my OB since I first learned that you exist. I was so busy with work in the morning that I forgot to snack as usual after a light breakfast, and by 11:45AM, 15 minutes after we were supposed to have seen the doctor already, you made it known that you were hungry. No wonder you were so active on the screen.

You gave me the best present today, indication that you are alive and well. I was amazed to see your peanut-blob shape for the first time ever, giant head, pudgy body. You wiggled around as if to say hello (and "I'm hungry."). You measured spot-on as you should for this stage, 2.05-2.15cm. And then the most amazing part of all, when the OB turned on the ultrasound audio and Daddy and I heard your heartbeat for the first time, thumping away like you had just run a marathon instead of doing just a few wiggles: THOOM-THOOM-THOOM! 170 beats per minute, good and strong.

Daddy was very happy tonight to be able to see you. We kept looking at your ultrasound picture printout and made copies on thicker photo paper, manhandling the poor printer on its last throes of death to spit out two copies. We re-watched the brief video clip of the ultrasound to listen to your heartbeat.

When you are challenging me through your teenage years, when you have moved away temporarily for college or permanently to start a life and family of your own with the wings of freedom to which you'll be entitled, never forget how much you are wanted, and cherished. Mommy loves you to the moon and back.

"I'll love you forever
I'll like you for always
As long as I'm living
My baby you'll be."

-Robert Munsch

No comments: