Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Month of May Photo Challenge. Day 20. Something Tiny

I used to play with pill bugs ("rolly-pollies") when I was young. We all have our preferred bugs, I guess--for example, my brother Johnny had an obsession with ants. Not having many toys or game systems, we played outside and formulated our own entertainment. I always admired the pill bug, a creature that came with its own home and armor, yet with more speed and maneuverability than the snail or turtle, which have the same advantages.

My husband used to make his own toys in his childhood; he'd collect scrap matchboxes and rubber bands and build wind-up "cars." We didn't have much, but we had imagination and drive; we played in the sun and learned the finesse of crafting and nurturing things with our hands.



No comments: