Thursday, May 7, 2015

Month of May Photo Challenge. Day 7: Footwear

Blingy heels from Giuseppe Zanott. Let's be real--I'd die within ten minutes of wearing heels this high. Maybe even five. I've always been a flat-shoes/sneakers kind of gal. Never been in love with shoe shopping. Usually I despise it, in fact--taking them off, trying them on, walking a few paces to assess fit and comfort level.

Here is a fun fact: during a staged martial arts demo for my wedding, I changed from my high heels into slippers. To me, foot pain is one of the worst pains to endure due to all the nerve endings in the feet. I can't imagine that human beings could think up a torture like foot binding and pass it off as a sign of desirability and beauty. In actuality, it is to confine a wife from wandering very far, making her steps slow, small, and measured as she tries to balance on deformed feet and broken toes.
Sometimes I think that the discomfort of wearing heels is not far off, with all the pressure pushing on the toes. It makes me glad to be in a land and time where I can select footwear of my choice: sneakers, slippers, or barefoot and free of confines.



No comments: