Monday, May 4, 2015

Month of May Photo Challenge. Day 4: A Living Thing


Tulip and cymbidium orchid arrangement at the Vdara check-in desk (right before I mooched off a room upgrade). I like how it's self-contained in its own glass ecosystem.

My mom designs artificial flower arrangements for a living. I learned the names of a lot of flowers as she took me wholesale shopping through my youth. I grew up in her little retail stall, surrounded by all the colors of the rainbow. I've grown an appreciation for fresh flowers even though her arrangements fed us, clothed us, put us through college. Fresh flowers with their unique scents are something that the artificial lacks, along with unique beauty that comes with all organic things, and as they quickly fade, remind us of the ephemeral nature of life.

No comments: